Friday, September 4, 2009

Bernadette’s Story – Turame Community Finance, Burundi

Bernadette Nzeyimana
Community Bank Group: “Tuyage” (Let us Converse)
Location: Ngozi

image

Bernadette is a very tall elegant woman with a wide smile. Because of the war in Burundi, Bernadette was widowed in 2000 and left to care for her eight children - five daughters and three sons - on her own. However, her entrepreneurial skills have enabled her to provide for her family.

Today she runs a wholesale business of ground paddy rice. She has increased the sizes of her loans from 60,000 BIF (Burundian Francs) to 260,000 BIF in her fifth loan cycle. With pride she describe the way she is now able to provide for her entire family. “I’ve never missed any meal for my family.

I’ve got this place [in Ngozi Central Market] for my business and have already bought a parcel of land. Adding to this, I am able to pay my rent, reimburse my loans and remain with a benefit [profit].”

Bernadette says she enjoys being with the other community bank group members, making friendships and supporting each other. In the future she hopes to take a loan out for 500,000 BIF in order to purchase goats and cows.

No comments: